Iran`s President promotes controversial aide
Tehran: Iran`s president has promoted a controversial aide to a high-profile post in a move widely viewed as an attempt to boost the adviser`s profile ahead of his expected candidacy in next year`s presidential elections.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Saturday appointed Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei the head of the secretariat of the Non-Aligned Movement, the bloc of developing nations Iran currently heads.
The post gives Mashaei much-needed international experience.
Ahmadinejad cannot run in Iran`s presidential elections in June because of term limits, and he is widely believed to be grooming Mashaei as his successor.
The move is seen as a challenge to Iran`s powerful hardliners, who denounce Mashaei as the head of a "deviant current" that they say seeks to undermine the country`s ruling Islamic system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India