Iran`s protest leaders not foreign-backed: Khamenei
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday that he has no proof the leaders of the post-election violence in June were backed by foreign states, state television reported.
"I do not accuse the leaders of the recent incidents to be subordinate to the foreigners, like the United States and Britain, since this issue has not been proven for me," Khamenei said in a statement read out by a newsreader.
"This plot was defeated, since fortunately our enemies still do not understand the issue in Iran," added the statement, which was read over pictures of Khamenei.
"Our enemies were given a slap in face by the Iranian nation, but they are still hopeful and they are pursuing the issue."
On August 03, Khamenei hailed the "unprecedented" vote that returned Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to power as he confirmed him in office following the disputed June 12 presidential election that led to deadly street unrest.
The regime blamed supporters of Ahmadinejad`s main rival Mir Hossein Mousavi and other defeated candidates for sparking the political turmoil, as well as accusing foreign governments of plotting to destabilise the country.
Iran expelled two British diplomats in June after accusing London and other foreign powers of fomenting the unrest. Britain retaliated by expelling Iranian diplomats.
Iran also restricted foreign media coverage during the post-election unrest and expelled several foreign journalists.
The authorities have has staged mass trials of more than 140 people on charges linked to the massive demonstrations and violence that followed Ahmadinejad`s hotly disputed victory.
Among those in the dock over the unrest are two British and French embassy local staff and a French woman university teaching assistant.
"We should not proceed in dealing with those behind the protests based on rumours and guesswork," the Khamenei statement said. "The judiciary should only give rulings based on solid evidence, not on circumstantial evidence."
The court hearings, open only to Iranian news agencies and which opposition leaders denounced as "show trials”, have angered the international community and heightened tensions in the worst political crisis since Iran`s 1979 Islamic revolution.
Khamenei also indicated on Wednesday that members of the security forces who took part in the post-election crackdown were not immune from prosecution.
"I appreciate the work of the police and basij (Islamic militia) in dealing with the riots, but this does not mean that some of the crimes which occurred will not be dealt with and anyone who is a member of those two who committed a fault should be dealt with," he said.
The supreme leader also issued a stern warning to students ahead of the September 23 reopening of universities to stay well clear of politics.
"All of you should be vigilant and not get involved in minor political issues... so the aim of the enemies, which is to temporarily close, disrupt or create riots in universities, does not materialise."
Earlier on Wednesday, Iran`s former president Mohammad Khatami dismissed confessions made by some of his aides in court as "utter lies”, according to a statement posted on his website.
The prosecution claimed that prominent Khatami aide Saeed Hajjarian had connections with British intelligence and the Soros Foundation which planned to launch a "velvet revolution" in Iran.
Hajjarian reportedly told the court he had made "huge mistakes" in the aftermath of the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal