Iraq: 19 killed as forces clash with militants
Baghdad: Militants downed an Iraqi Army helicopter on Thursday in clashes that have killed at least 19 people including 11 policemen, a regional official said, in what appeared to be part of an al Qaeda surge to retake one of its former strongholds.
The fighting around the town of Hadid, about 10 kilometres north of the Diyala provincial capital of Baqouba, follows a warning last weekend from al-Qaida`s leader in Iraq to push back into areas the group was driven out of by the US military after sectarian fighting peaked in 2007.
A day after al Qaeda issued the threat, shootings and bombings killed 115 people in Iraq`s deadliest day in more than two years, an assault for which the terror group claimed responsibility.
Diyala provincial spokesman Salih Ebressim Khalil said militants opened fire today on the Iraqi army helicopter, killing one soldier, wounding another and forcing the aircraft to make an emergency landing. The rest of the crew was unharmed.
The helicopter was called in to provide surveillance for security forces battling militants since an attack late Tuesday on a security checkpoint in a rural area near Hadid, some 70 kilometres northeast of Baghdad.
Despite police efforts to seal off the area, gunbattles raged overnight yesterday, killing 11 policemen, Khalil said.
According to provincial police and health officials, seven militants also were killed in the clashes and eight were arrested. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to release information.
Diyala is a predominantly Sunni province that is sandwiched between Baghdad and the Iranian border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH