Iraq: 35 inmates tunnel out, most recaptured
Baghdad: An Iraqi security official says 35 terror suspects tunnelled their way out of a detention facility and most were quickly recaptured.
The head of the security committee on the provincial council, Abdul-Raheem al-Shimmary, said 21 of the detainees were recaptured soon after Thursday`s dawn escape in northern Iraq, leaving 14 at large.
The detainees were being held at a Ministry of Interior facility on terrorism related charges.
Al-Shimmary said they escaped through a 50-meter (160-foot) tunnel.
Prison breaks are not uncommon in Iraq, casting doubt on whether Iraqi security forces are ready to protect the nation when US troops leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III