Iraq: 35 inmates tunnel out, most recaptured
Baghdad: An Iraqi security official says 35 terror suspects tunnelled their way out of a detention facility and most were quickly recaptured.
The head of the security committee on the provincial council, Abdul-Raheem al-Shimmary, said 21 of the detainees were recaptured soon after Thursday`s dawn escape in northern Iraq, leaving 14 at large.
The detainees were being held at a Ministry of Interior facility on terrorism related charges.
Al-Shimmary said they escaped through a 50-meter (160-foot) tunnel.
Prison breaks are not uncommon in Iraq, casting doubt on whether Iraqi security forces are ready to protect the nation when US troops leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- 'Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government wasting public money for image makeover'
- Kiran Bedi seeks banks' help for 'prosperous' Puducherry
- Now, helmet compulsory for pillion riders in Uttar Pradesh
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes