Iraq: 35 inmates tunnel out, most recaptured
Baghdad: An Iraqi security official says 35 terror suspects tunnelled their way out of a detention facility and most were quickly recaptured.
The head of the security committee on the provincial council, Abdul-Raheem al-Shimmary, said 21 of the detainees were recaptured soon after Thursday`s dawn escape in northern Iraq, leaving 14 at large.
The detainees were being held at a Ministry of Interior facility on terrorism related charges.
Al-Shimmary said they escaped through a 50-meter (160-foot) tunnel.
Prison breaks are not uncommon in Iraq, casting doubt on whether Iraqi security forces are ready to protect the nation when US troops leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic