Iraq attacks kill two, wound 24: Police
Samarra (Iraq): A suicide bomber blew himself up inside an Iraqi restaurant used by police and anti-Al-Qaeda militiamen today, killing one person and wounding 20 others, police said.
The attack occurred at 6.05 pm local time in Samarra, a
city located 110 kilometres north of Baghdad in Salaheddin
province, a police official said.
The restaurant is a known haunt for police and members of
the Sahwa (Awakening) movement, known as the "Sons of Iraq" by
the US army, which joined American and Iraqi forces in 2006
and 2007 to fight Al-Qaeda and its supporters, leading to a
dramatic fall in violence across the country.
Separately, a grenade thrown at Shiite pilgrims
travelling on foot to the holy southern city of Karbala for a
religious festival, killed one person and wounded four others,
That attack happened in the southern Baghdad district of
Saidiyah, just days ahead of Arbaeen, which marks 40 days
after the Ashura anniversary that commemorates the killing of
the revered Imam Hussein.
Arbaeen will see tens of thousands of Shiites, including
many Iranian pilgrims, pass through Baghdad en route to
Karbala, to pay homage at the Imam Hussein shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...