Iraq blasts: Security chief sacked; Qaeda claims responsibility
Baghdad: Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has sacked Baghdad`s security chief over a string of coordinated car and truck bombings claimed by an al Qaeda group that killed 127 people.
The Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) issued a statement on a forum for Muslim extremists saying it carried out Tuesday`s bombings at ministries and courthouses that also wounded 450 people, according to US monitoring group SITE.
The statement, translated by SITE on yesterday, threatened more attacks, saying the latest carnage was the "third wave" in an ISI campaign following bloody days on August 19 and October 25 that left over 100 people dead.
"The list of targets will not end, with permission from Allah, until the flag of monotheism is raised once against on the land of Baghdad and the sharia of Allah rules the land and the worshippers," it said.
The group also claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in Tikrit, the hometown of executed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, which killed a senior anti-terror officer on
Maliki earlier ordered the removal of Lieutenant General Abboud Qanbar as enraged MPs demanded answers from the country`s leaders over the blasts, which accounted for more dead than the total violent deaths in November, and undermined the government`s claims of improved security ahead of March 7 polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested