Iraq bloodshed: Blasts at wedding party, market kill 30 in Baghdad
Zee Media Bureau
Baghdad: In the latest spurt of violence in Iraq, 30 people lost their lives in bombings at different places in areas near capital Baghdad, reports said.
18 were killed and more than 40 injured when a car bomb went off nearby a wedding party in the mixed Sunni-Shiite Jihad neighborhood, officials said.
Many who had come to enjoy the wedding eneded up losing their lives.
Another 12 people were killed and 31 were wounded in Baqouba, the capital of Diyala province when a roadside bomb went off. Elsewhere, a car bomb exploded near a market, killing 10 people and wounding 25, police said.
The deadly Wednesday signals the continuing bloodshed in Iraq post the US troops withdrawal in 2011.
More than 500 people have been killed since the start of May.
The surge in attacks in recent weeks is reminiscent of the sectarian carnage that pushed Iraq to the brink of civil war in 2006 and 2007. April was Iraq`s deadliest month since June 2008, according to a United Nations tally that put last month`s death toll at more than 700.
With Agency’s inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- GST Bill: Arun Jaitley to meet state finance ministers on Tuesday
- 'Madaari' Box Office collections: Irrfan Khan starrer mints Rs 5.75 crores
- Narsingh Yadav cries foul after dope test shock, says truth will come out
- CM Mehbooba Mufti favours abrogation of AFSPA from parts of J&K; says if successful it can be revoked in entirety
- EPFO likely to raise equity investment to 10%