Iraq bloodshed: Blasts at wedding party, market kill 30 in Baghdad
Zee Media Bureau
Baghdad: In the latest spurt of violence in Iraq, 30 people lost their lives in bombings at different places in areas near capital Baghdad, reports said.
18 were killed and more than 40 injured when a car bomb went off nearby a wedding party in the mixed Sunni-Shiite Jihad neighborhood, officials said.
Many who had come to enjoy the wedding eneded up losing their lives.
Another 12 people were killed and 31 were wounded in Baqouba, the capital of Diyala province when a roadside bomb went off. Elsewhere, a car bomb exploded near a market, killing 10 people and wounding 25, police said.
The deadly Wednesday signals the continuing bloodshed in Iraq post the US troops withdrawal in 2011.
More than 500 people have been killed since the start of May.
The surge in attacks in recent weeks is reminiscent of the sectarian carnage that pushed Iraq to the brink of civil war in 2006 and 2007. April was Iraq`s deadliest month since June 2008, according to a United Nations tally that put last month`s death toll at more than 700.
With Agency’s inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured