Iraq bloodshed: Blasts at wedding party, market kill 30 in Baghdad
Zee Media Bureau
Baghdad: In the latest spurt of violence in Iraq, 30 people lost their lives in bombings at different places in areas near capital Baghdad, reports said.
18 were killed and more than 40 injured when a car bomb went off nearby a wedding party in the mixed Sunni-Shiite Jihad neighborhood, officials said.
Many who had come to enjoy the wedding eneded up losing their lives.
Another 12 people were killed and 31 were wounded in Baqouba, the capital of Diyala province when a roadside bomb went off. Elsewhere, a car bomb exploded near a market, killing 10 people and wounding 25, police said.
The deadly Wednesday signals the continuing bloodshed in Iraq post the US troops withdrawal in 2011.
More than 500 people have been killed since the start of May.
The surge in attacks in recent weeks is reminiscent of the sectarian carnage that pushed Iraq to the brink of civil war in 2006 and 2007. April was Iraq`s deadliest month since June 2008, according to a United Nations tally that put last month`s death toll at more than 700.
With Agency’s inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert