Iraq bloodshed: Blasts at wedding party, market kill 30 in Baghdad
Zee Media Bureau
Baghdad: In the latest spurt of violence in Iraq, 30 people lost their lives in bombings at different places in areas near capital Baghdad, reports said.
18 were killed and more than 40 injured when a car bomb went off nearby a wedding party in the mixed Sunni-Shiite Jihad neighborhood, officials said.
Many who had come to enjoy the wedding eneded up losing their lives.
Another 12 people were killed and 31 were wounded in Baqouba, the capital of Diyala province when a roadside bomb went off. Elsewhere, a car bomb exploded near a market, killing 10 people and wounding 25, police said.
The deadly Wednesday signals the continuing bloodshed in Iraq post the US troops withdrawal in 2011.
More than 500 people have been killed since the start of May.
The surge in attacks in recent weeks is reminiscent of the sectarian carnage that pushed Iraq to the brink of civil war in 2006 and 2007. April was Iraq`s deadliest month since June 2008, according to a United Nations tally that put last month`s death toll at more than 700.
With Agency’s inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials