Iraq: Bombings kill 26 people in Baghdad
Baghdad: A series of bombings targeting commercial areas of Baghdad killed 26 people as residents were heading out on the town on Thursday in a new spasm of violence to strike the Iraqi capital, according to Iraqi officials.
The attacks happened within minutes of each other, suggesting a coordinated assault like those favoured by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, an al-Qaeda-inspired group that is behind much of the bloodshed in Iraq. The evening`s first attack was also the deadliest.
A car bomb exploded after sunset in a commercial street in the Sunni-dominated northern neighbourhood of Azamiyah, killing 12 people and wounding 28.
Thursday night is a popular time for Iraqis to go out, as the local weekend begins the following day.
Minutes later, another bomb exploded near a market in the same neighbourhood, killing seven and wounding 27.
Those blasts were followed by an explosion in a shopping street in the capital`s Aamiriyah district, killing three people and wounding 15 others. Yet another blast struck a commercial street in southwestern Baghdad, killing four people and wounding 14.
Medics confirmed the casualties for all attacks. All officials spoke anonymously because they were not authorised to talk to the media.
No group immediately claimed responsibility, but the attacks bore the hallmarks of ISIL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'