Iraq closes border crossing point with Syria
Baghdad: Iraq on Wednesday closed a major border checkpoint with Syria in the country`s Anbar province, said an Iraqi Border Police source.
Iraq closed the Al-Qaim border checkpoint early Wednesday with a three-metre concrete wall blocking the entry while “forces of the Syrian opposition still hold control of the other side of the checkpoint," Xinhua quoted the source as saying.
The source did not specify the reason of closing the checkpoint and when it would be re-opened.
Syria has been wrecked by violence since March 2011 when the anti-government protests broke out.
The Iraqi-Syrian border measures about 600 km.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan