Iraq closes border crossing point with Syria
Baghdad: Iraq on Wednesday closed a major border checkpoint with Syria in the country`s Anbar province, said an Iraqi Border Police source.
Iraq closed the Al-Qaim border checkpoint early Wednesday with a three-metre concrete wall blocking the entry while “forces of the Syrian opposition still hold control of the other side of the checkpoint," Xinhua quoted the source as saying.
The source did not specify the reason of closing the checkpoint and when it would be re-opened.
Syria has been wrecked by violence since March 2011 when the anti-government protests broke out.
The Iraqi-Syrian border measures about 600 km.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive