Iraq closes border crossing point with Syria
Baghdad: Iraq on Wednesday closed a major border checkpoint with Syria in the country`s Anbar province, said an Iraqi Border Police source.
Iraq closed the Al-Qaim border checkpoint early Wednesday with a three-metre concrete wall blocking the entry while “forces of the Syrian opposition still hold control of the other side of the checkpoint," Xinhua quoted the source as saying.
The source did not specify the reason of closing the checkpoint and when it would be re-opened.
Syria has been wrecked by violence since March 2011 when the anti-government protests broke out.
The Iraqi-Syrian border measures about 600 km.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report