Iraq death toll in August highest in 13 months: Officials
Baghdad: The month of August witnessed the highest number of deaths from violence in Iraq for 13 months, official figures showed Tuesday, with 456 people killed across
the conflict-torn nation.
Statistics compiled by the defence, interior and health ministries showed that 393 civilians, 48 police and 15 soldiers were killed.
The figures marked the highest monthly death toll since July 2008, when a total of 465 people were killed.
August saw two massive truck bombings at the ministries of finance and foreign affairs in Baghdad that killed at least 95 people.
There were also 1,592 civilians, 129 police and 20 soldiers wounded in August, according to the figures.
In addition, 52 insurgents were killed and 540 arrested last month, said the ministries.
The number of deaths in August jumped markedly from the 275 Iraqis who lost their lives in July, in the immediate wake of a major pullout of US combat troops from urban centres the previous month.
The weeks leading up to the June 30 withdrawal of American forces from Iraq`s cities, towns and villages also saw a spike in violence, with 437 people dying that month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured