Iraq executes 10 convicts
Baghdad: Iraq Sunday executed 10 people, including an Egyptian, over terror charges, despite international calls not to carry out the executions.
Iraq executions have sparked calls by the UN, European Union and human rights groups to abolish the capital punishment, criticizing the lack of transparency in court proceedings, Xinhua reported.
The death penalty was suspended for over a year after the US-led invasion in 2003. The Iraqi government reinstated it Aug 8, 2004. Since then, scores of people have been executed, including toppled Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'