Iraq executes 10 convicts
Baghdad: Iraq Sunday executed 10 people, including an Egyptian, over terror charges, despite international calls not to carry out the executions.
Iraq executions have sparked calls by the UN, European Union and human rights groups to abolish the capital punishment, criticizing the lack of transparency in court proceedings, Xinhua reported.
The death penalty was suspended for over a year after the US-led invasion in 2003. The Iraqi government reinstated it Aug 8, 2004. Since then, scores of people have been executed, including toppled Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA