Iraq executes 10 convicts
Baghdad: Iraq Sunday executed 10 people, including an Egyptian, over terror charges, despite international calls not to carry out the executions.
Iraq executions have sparked calls by the UN, European Union and human rights groups to abolish the capital punishment, criticizing the lack of transparency in court proceedings, Xinhua reported.
The death penalty was suspended for over a year after the US-led invasion in 2003. The Iraqi government reinstated it Aug 8, 2004. Since then, scores of people have been executed, including toppled Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing