Iraq executes 23 people in two days: Ministry
Baghdad: Iraq executed 23 people during two days in September, most of them convicted on terrorism charges, the justice ministry said today.
Twenty of the 23 were either Al-Qaeda members or otherwise involved in terrorism, while three were convicted of unspecified "criminal charges," a ministry spokesman said.
The executions were carried out on September 22 and 26.
They take to at least 90 the number of people who have been put to death in Iraq this year, according to an AFP tally based on reports from the ministry and officials.
Executions in Iraq, which are usually carried out by hanging, have drawn widespread condemnation from the European Union, the United Nations and rights watchdogs.
"The Iraqi authorities have chosen to defy repeated calls not to execute prisoners and to rely on tainted `confessions` obtained under torture," Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui of Amnesty International said last month.
"That a death sentence could be imposed after obviously grossly unfair trials beggars belief."
UN human rights chief Navi Pillay said this year that Iraq`s criminal justice system was "not functioning adequately".
She highlighted "numerous convictions based on confessions obtained under torture and ill-treatment, a weak judiciary and trial proceedings that fall short of international standards."
"The application of the death penalty in these circumstances is unconscionable, as any miscarriage of justice as a result of capital punishment cannot be undone," Pillay said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3