Iraq executing more people now than 10 yrs ago: Amnesty
London: Iraq has been conducting more executions now than it has done for almost a decade, according to a global report.
According to the report by Amnesty International, the country now has the third highest number of executions in the world after executing at least 129 people last year, which is double the number recorded in 2011 and the highest figure in the last eight years, the Independent reports.
According to the report, Iraq saw the biggest rise in confirmed killings in just twelve months of anywhere else in the world, adding that so far, 16 people have been executed since January, with four being put to death in the last week alone.
Amnesty International`s UK director Kate Allen said that although the global trend on the death penalty is toward abolition or at least a decrease in its use, Iraq is kicking that trend in a disturbing way, adding that the massive scale of executions in Iraq has taken it back to the days of large-scale executions under Saddam Hussein.
The report further said that even though most executions in Iraq were carried out for terrorism-related offences or murder, many of the cases failed to meet international standards for fair trials and included the use of ` confessions` obtained under torture and other ill-treatment.
The report further said that executions were carried out in batches with 34 people killed in a single day in June 2012.
Saddam Hussain`s presidential secretary and bodyguard, Abid Hamid Mahmud, was amongst those executed in 2012, as part of a crackdown on opposition political activists, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city