Iraq executing more people now than 10 yrs ago: Amnesty
London: Iraq has been conducting more executions now than it has done for almost a decade, according to a global report.
According to the report by Amnesty International, the country now has the third highest number of executions in the world after executing at least 129 people last year, which is double the number recorded in 2011 and the highest figure in the last eight years, the Independent reports.
According to the report, Iraq saw the biggest rise in confirmed killings in just twelve months of anywhere else in the world, adding that so far, 16 people have been executed since January, with four being put to death in the last week alone.
Amnesty International`s UK director Kate Allen said that although the global trend on the death penalty is toward abolition or at least a decrease in its use, Iraq is kicking that trend in a disturbing way, adding that the massive scale of executions in Iraq has taken it back to the days of large-scale executions under Saddam Hussein.
The report further said that even though most executions in Iraq were carried out for terrorism-related offences or murder, many of the cases failed to meet international standards for fair trials and included the use of ` confessions` obtained under torture and other ill-treatment.
The report further said that executions were carried out in batches with 34 people killed in a single day in June 2012.
Saddam Hussain`s presidential secretary and bodyguard, Abid Hamid Mahmud, was amongst those executed in 2012, as part of a crackdown on opposition political activists, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees