Iraq Finance Minister says staff members kidnapped
Baghdad: Iraq`s Finance Minister has accused a "militia force" of kidnapping members of his staff, saying he holds the Prime Minister personally responsible for their safety.
Finance Minister Rafia al-Issawi made the accusations at a press conference on Thursday night. The move is certain to enflame Iraq`s ongoing political tensions.
Al-Issawi is a member of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki`s main political rival. He was flanked by senior members of his political bloc during the televised address. Al-Maliki`s spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.
The accusations come hours after Iraq`s ailing President was flown to Germany for medical treatment following a stroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Britain's EU commissioner steps down after Brexit vote
- Find out which day of the week is dedicated to which Lord!
- Angelique Kerber eyes double delight, aims German Wimbledon & Euros triumph
- Banned Pakistan spin-bowler Danish Kaneria returns home from India
- Seven companies in race to manage EPFO's equity investments in FY17