Iraq Finance Minister says staff members kidnapped
Baghdad: Iraq`s Finance Minister has accused a "militia force" of kidnapping members of his staff, saying he holds the Prime Minister personally responsible for their safety.
Finance Minister Rafia al-Issawi made the accusations at a press conference on Thursday night. The move is certain to enflame Iraq`s ongoing political tensions.
Al-Issawi is a member of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki`s main political rival. He was flanked by senior members of his political bloc during the televised address. Al-Maliki`s spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.
The accusations come hours after Iraq`s ailing President was flown to Germany for medical treatment following a stroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit
- Avg 49 days of employment generated in 2015-16 under MGNREGA: Govt
- Turkey`s post-coup purge: almost 16,000 detained, 50,000 fired
- Death sentences upheld for six Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh militants in 2005 bombings
- Oh Air India! 11,000 flights rescheduled, 16,000 flights delayed till June 2016