Iraq Finance Minister says staff members kidnapped
Baghdad: Iraq`s Finance Minister has accused a "militia force" of kidnapping members of his staff, saying he holds the Prime Minister personally responsible for their safety.
Finance Minister Rafia al-Issawi made the accusations at a press conference on Thursday night. The move is certain to enflame Iraq`s ongoing political tensions.
Al-Issawi is a member of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki`s main political rival. He was flanked by senior members of his political bloc during the televised address. Al-Maliki`s spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.
The accusations come hours after Iraq`s ailing President was flown to Germany for medical treatment following a stroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured