Iraq Finance Minister says staff members kidnapped
Baghdad: Iraq`s Finance Minister has accused a "militia force" of kidnapping members of his staff, saying he holds the Prime Minister personally responsible for their safety.
Finance Minister Rafia al-Issawi made the accusations at a press conference on Thursday night. The move is certain to enflame Iraq`s ongoing political tensions.
Al-Issawi is a member of the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki`s main political rival. He was flanked by senior members of his political bloc during the televised address. Al-Maliki`s spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.
The accusations come hours after Iraq`s ailing President was flown to Germany for medical treatment following a stroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur