Iraq forces battle to retake town from militants
Tikrit: Iraqi forces fought on Friday to retake part of a northern town and areas seized by gunmen, in the latest instance of authorities losing ground to militants, an official said.
The Thursday takeover of part of Sulaiman Bek and nearby villages in Salaheddin province came as gunmen control all of one major city and part of another in the western province of Anbar, in a stand-off that has lasted for weeks.
Talib al-Bayati, a local official for the Sulaiman Bek area, told AFP that security forces backed by tanks and other armour began attacking militant-held areas on Friday morning.
Engineers moved in first to search for bombs, Bayati said.
Security forces killed two militants in the area on Friday, after a helicopter strike killed seven on Thursday.
The violence is the latest violence to hit the region.
Last July, some 150 militants carried out a coordinated operation in the Sulaiman Bek area, attacking with mortar rounds, automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades.
The violence drew security forces away from a nearby highway, where several dozen militants set up a checkpoint and executed 14 Shiite Muslim truck drivers.
Sulaiman Bek was also briefly seized by militants in late April last year.
Iraqi authorities face a far more serious problem in Anbar province, where gunmen have held all of the city of Fallujah and parts of provincial capital Ramadi for weeks.
Violence in the country has reached a level not seen since 2008, when Iraq was just emerging from a period of brutal sectarian killings.
Foreign leaders have urged the Shiite-led government to do more to reach out to the disaffected Sunni Arab minority to undercut support for militants.
But Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has taken a hard line ahead of a general election scheduled for April.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani