Iraq forces battle to retake town from militants
Tikrit: Iraqi forces fought on Friday to retake part of a northern town and areas seized by gunmen, in the latest instance of authorities losing ground to militants, an official said.
The Thursday takeover of part of Sulaiman Bek and nearby villages in Salaheddin province came as gunmen control all of one major city and part of another in the western province of Anbar, in a stand-off that has lasted for weeks.
Talib al-Bayati, a local official for the Sulaiman Bek area, told AFP that security forces backed by tanks and other armour began attacking militant-held areas on Friday morning.
Engineers moved in first to search for bombs, Bayati said.
Security forces killed two militants in the area on Friday, after a helicopter strike killed seven on Thursday.
The violence is the latest violence to hit the region.
Last July, some 150 militants carried out a coordinated operation in the Sulaiman Bek area, attacking with mortar rounds, automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades.
The violence drew security forces away from a nearby highway, where several dozen militants set up a checkpoint and executed 14 Shiite Muslim truck drivers.
Sulaiman Bek was also briefly seized by militants in late April last year.
Iraqi authorities face a far more serious problem in Anbar province, where gunmen have held all of the city of Fallujah and parts of provincial capital Ramadi for weeks.
Violence in the country has reached a level not seen since 2008, when Iraq was just emerging from a period of brutal sectarian killings.
Foreign leaders have urged the Shiite-led government to do more to reach out to the disaffected Sunni Arab minority to undercut support for militants.
But Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has taken a hard line ahead of a general election scheduled for April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre