Iraq: Gunmen kill family of six north of Baghdad
Baghdad: Gunmen attacked the home of an Iraqi Sunni family north of Baghdad today, killing a man, two women and three children, officials said.
The attack took place at Tarmiyah in the evening, a police colonel and a medical official said.
It was unclear who carried out the killings, or why the family was specifically targeted.
The killings come as Sunni Arab militants push toward Baghdad in a major offensive that has overrun large areas of five provinces north and west of the capital.
As security forces wilted in the face of the initial onslaught, the government announced it would arm and equip volunteers, while Shiite militias are also fighting alongside Baghdad`s troops.
Iraq is suffering its worst violence since 2006-2007, when tens of thousands of people were killed in a bloody Sunni-Shiite sectarian war marked by frequent death squad killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price