Iraq: Gunmen kill family of six north of Baghdad
Baghdad: Gunmen attacked the home of an Iraqi Sunni family north of Baghdad today, killing a man, two women and three children, officials said.
The attack took place at Tarmiyah in the evening, a police colonel and a medical official said.
It was unclear who carried out the killings, or why the family was specifically targeted.
The killings come as Sunni Arab militants push toward Baghdad in a major offensive that has overrun large areas of five provinces north and west of the capital.
As security forces wilted in the face of the initial onslaught, the government announced it would arm and equip volunteers, while Shiite militias are also fighting alongside Baghdad`s troops.
Iraq is suffering its worst violence since 2006-2007, when tens of thousands of people were killed in a bloody Sunni-Shiite sectarian war marked by frequent death squad killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know