Iraq hangs 12 convicted of terror charges
Baghdad: An Iraqi official said today that his country has hanged 12 prisoners convicted of terrorism-related charges.
The Justice Ministry official said that all of those executed on Sunday were found guilty for carrying out "terrorist" attacks.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to make public statements, didn`t give further details on the charges.
Iraq has so far executed 144 people this year, compared to 129 in 2012.
Human rights groups have long criticised trial procedures in Iraqi courts, arguing that some verdicts are based on testimony obtained by torture or forced statements. The government defends the death penalty as a weapon against insurgents bent on destabilising the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand