Iraq hangs 12 convicted of terror charges
Baghdad: An Iraqi official said today that his country has hanged 12 prisoners convicted of terrorism-related charges.
The Justice Ministry official said that all of those executed on Sunday were found guilty for carrying out "terrorist" attacks.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to make public statements, didn`t give further details on the charges.
Iraq has so far executed 144 people this year, compared to 129 in 2012.
Human rights groups have long criticised trial procedures in Iraqi courts, arguing that some verdicts are based on testimony obtained by torture or forced statements. The government defends the death penalty as a weapon against insurgents bent on destabilising the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"