Iraq hangs 12 convicted of terror charges
Baghdad: An Iraqi official said today that his country has hanged 12 prisoners convicted of terrorism-related charges.
The Justice Ministry official said that all of those executed on Sunday were found guilty for carrying out "terrorist" attacks.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to make public statements, didn`t give further details on the charges.
Iraq has so far executed 144 people this year, compared to 129 in 2012.
Human rights groups have long criticised trial procedures in Iraqi courts, arguing that some verdicts are based on testimony obtained by torture or forced statements. The government defends the death penalty as a weapon against insurgents bent on destabilising the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will step down if chair becomes impediment in father's vision for J&K: Mehbooba Mufti
- Nuke programme made Pakistan's defence impregnable: Nawaz Sharif
- Indian Army now confirms Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tariq Pandit held
- Kepler 62f: An exoplanet 1200 light years away may be habitable!
- UEFA Champions League final: Five classic Real Madrid-Atletico Madrid derbies