Iraq hangs 12 convicted of terror charges
Baghdad: An Iraqi official said today that his country has hanged 12 prisoners convicted of terrorism-related charges.
The Justice Ministry official said that all of those executed on Sunday were found guilty for carrying out "terrorist" attacks.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to make public statements, didn`t give further details on the charges.
Iraq has so far executed 144 people this year, compared to 129 in 2012.
Human rights groups have long criticised trial procedures in Iraqi courts, arguing that some verdicts are based on testimony obtained by torture or forced statements. The government defends the death penalty as a weapon against insurgents bent on destabilising the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you