Iraq joins talks on Iran bail for jailed Americans
Muscat: Arab countries Oman and Iraq are involved in negotiations for the release of two Americans jailed in Iran for spying.
A private plane from the Gulf state of Oman has been dispatched to Tehran and an Iraqi official says a delegation of lawmakers is in the Iranian capital amid intensified efforts to seal a USD 1 million bail-for-freedom deal for Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal.
They were detained along the Iran-Iraq border in July 2009 with their friend Sarah Shourd. She was released last September with mediation by Oman.
Their defence lawyer says talks are under way, but there is no timetable on a possible release.
The Iraqi official spoke on condition of anonymity due to sensitivity of the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar