Iraq journalists killed in suicide assault on TV: Police
Tikrit: Four suicide bombers attacked a local television station headquarters north of Baghdad on Monday, killing two journalists, police officers said.
Security forces have launched an assault to clear the Salaheddin television building, the officers said.
Some journalists managed to escape the building, while others were still trapped inside.
"I managed to escape, and I am outside the building, and the third and the fourth floors are on fire now," a Salaheddin TV journalist told by telephone.
"Some of my colleagues are trapped in the building, among them two women. I am calling them on their mobile phones and they are not answering," he said.
A journalist from Iraqiya state TV, which has an office in the same building, said he too was able to escape, but that others were still in the building.
Iraq has come in for repeated criticism over the lack of media freedom and the number of unsolved killings of journalists.
With the latest violence , nine Iraqi journalists have been killed in attacks in less than three months.
Violence in the country has reached a level not seen since 2008, when the country was just emerging from a period of brutal sectarian killings.
More than 6,650 people have been killed in Iraq since the beginning of the year, according to AFP figures based on security and medical sources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?