Iraq LIVE: Don`t cause trouble in govt formation, John Kerry tells Nouri al-Maliki
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
"We stand absolutely squarely behind President Masum (who) has the responsibility for upholding the constitution of Iraq," Kerry said in Sydney.
The president, according to the constitution, must now ask Maliki to form a new government in Iraq, added the report.
Fully support President of #Iraq Fuad Masum as guarantor of the Constitution and a PM nominee who can build a national consensus.
— Brett McGurk (@brett_mcgurk) August 10, 2014
"I will submit today an official complaint to the federal court against the president of the Republic for committing a clear constitutional violation for the sake of political calculations," Mr Maliki said in the televised speech.
The security situation in Baghdad is very quite and there are movements of forces across the capital in anticipation of security breaches
— Haider Al-Abadi (@HaiderAlAbadi) August 11, 2014
Even as the Islamic State militants took the town of Sinjar a week ago, forcing thousands of Yazidis and Christians to flee the town and take shelter in mountains, Iraq is struggling to nominate a PM as Nuri al-Maliki remains defiant and refuses to give up his bid for a third term as PM.
Maliki`s party had emerged as the single largest party in April`s parliamentary elections, however the Parliament did not name his as PM. Many in Iraq and also the US consider PM Maliki of not doing enough to suppress the Sunni extremism. Maliki is accused of executing sectarian policies that fuelled the frustration among Sunnis and Kurds. Even some of his fellow Shias are of view that Maliki should quit.
Meanwhile the latest advance of the ISIS has triggered the US to carried strikes on the Islamic State targets in Iraq. The US has so far carried out four round of targeted strikes at the ISIS, besides airdropping food and water to the needy civilians hiding in Sinjar mountains.
Sinjar is the ancient home of the Yazidis, one of the towns captured by the Sunni militants who view the community as "devil worshipers" and tell them to convert to Islam or face death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday