Iraq mayhem continues: 35 killed in mosque attack
Zee Media Bureau
Baghdad: In the latest incident of bloodshed in Iraq, a suicide bomber on Wednesday staged double suicide attacks on a Shiite mosque killing 35 people.
In what adds to the fears of Iraq declining back to the civil war situation of 2007-07, in past few months the country has seen increasing incidents of sectarian attacks.
Most of the attacks are targeted at Shiites and carried out by al-Qaida`s branch in Iraq, known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
No one has so far claimed the responsibility for the latest attack that targeted al Temimi mosque in Baghdad`s Kasra area when worshippers were leaving the mosque just after prayers.
Militants are keeping up a high pace of attacks in an effort to capitalize on tensions between Iraq`s Sunni and Shiite Muslims, which are being inflamed in part by the sectarian divisions reflected in the civil war in neighboring Syria.
Members of Iraq`s Sunni Arab minority have been protesting against the Shiite-led government since December, angered over what they see as second-class treatment against their sect and what they see as the unfair application of tough anti-terrorism measures.
The violence is calling into question the security forces` ability to protect the country and raising fears that Iraq`s sectarian and ethnic divisions are pushing it back toward the brink of civil war.
Attacks have been on the rise in Iraq since a deadly security crackdown in April on a Sunni protest camp.
More than 3,000 people have been killed in violence during the past few months, raising fears the country could see an even deadlier, sectarian round of bloodshed similar to what brought the country to the edge of civil war in 2006 and 2007.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot