Iraq mayhem continues: 35 killed in mosque attack
Zee Media Bureau
Baghdad: In the latest incident of bloodshed in Iraq, a suicide bomber on Wednesday staged double suicide attacks on a Shiite mosque killing 35 people.
In what adds to the fears of Iraq declining back to the civil war situation of 2007-07, in past few months the country has seen increasing incidents of sectarian attacks.
Most of the attacks are targeted at Shiites and carried out by al-Qaida`s branch in Iraq, known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
No one has so far claimed the responsibility for the latest attack that targeted al Temimi mosque in Baghdad`s Kasra area when worshippers were leaving the mosque just after prayers.
Militants are keeping up a high pace of attacks in an effort to capitalize on tensions between Iraq`s Sunni and Shiite Muslims, which are being inflamed in part by the sectarian divisions reflected in the civil war in neighboring Syria.
Members of Iraq`s Sunni Arab minority have been protesting against the Shiite-led government since December, angered over what they see as second-class treatment against their sect and what they see as the unfair application of tough anti-terrorism measures.
The violence is calling into question the security forces` ability to protect the country and raising fears that Iraq`s sectarian and ethnic divisions are pushing it back toward the brink of civil war.
Attacks have been on the rise in Iraq since a deadly security crackdown in April on a Sunni protest camp.
More than 3,000 people have been killed in violence during the past few months, raising fears the country could see an even deadlier, sectarian round of bloodshed similar to what brought the country to the edge of civil war in 2006 and 2007.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says