Iraq militia chief behind pilgrim blasts: Official
Baghdad: A top Iraqi security commander has announced the arrest of a government-backed Sunni Muslim militia leader on charges of being behind the deadly suicide bombings against Shi’ite pilgrims this week.
Major General Numan Dakhil said on Saturday that security forces were tipped off about the Awakening Council chief in Hillah just hours after the Thursday blasts that killed 56.
Dakhil said the militiaman`s assistant also was arrested but refused to give more details.
Also known as Sahwa or Sons of Iraq, the Awakening Councils are made up of Sunni fighters who sided with US forces against al Qaeda in a crucial turning point of the war.
But they complain they have been sidelined by Iraq`s Shi’ite government ever since.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH