Iraq moves against transiting arms to Syria: US
Washington: The US has said that Iraq has moved to prevent its territory from being used for transiting weapons to Syria.
State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said the issue of Iran using Iraq as a transit site was first raised months ago, Xinhua reported.
She said the US had discussed with the Iraqi government about "full visibility and full management of things" that were moving through its airspace and across land.
"Our sense is that they have done quite a bit of work in recent months to manage those kinds of issues and to make it clear to Iran that they`re not interested in being a transit site," Nuland told reporters Monday during regular news briefing.
"We work very closely with the Iraqis on Syrian issues," she said.
The move to block arms and oil shipments from Iran is part of the ongoing covert efforts by Washington to speed the fall of Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah