Iraq officials: Bomb near military base kills 27
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say a car bomb that exploded near a military base north of Baghdad has killed 27 people and wounded more than 40.
Police say the blast struck around midday today as Iraqi troops were leaving the base in Taji, 20 kilometres, north of the capital. They say 19 soldiers are among the dead.
Hospital officials confirmed the casualties. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to talk to the media.
Insurgents in Iraq frequently target members of the country`s security forces in an effort to undermine confidence in the Shiite-led government.
The attack was the deadliest in Iraq in several days, and the second bombing apparently targeting soldiers near Taji in less than 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read