Iraq officials: Bomb near military base kills 27
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say a car bomb that exploded near a military base north of Baghdad has killed 27 people and wounded more than 40.
Police say the blast struck around midday today as Iraqi troops were leaving the base in Taji, 20 kilometres, north of the capital. They say 19 soldiers are among the dead.
Hospital officials confirmed the casualties. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to talk to the media.
Insurgents in Iraq frequently target members of the country`s security forces in an effort to undermine confidence in the Shiite-led government.
The attack was the deadliest in Iraq in several days, and the second bombing apparently targeting soldiers near Taji in less than 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder