Iraq officials: Bomb near military base kills 27
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say a car bomb that exploded near a military base north of Baghdad has killed 27 people and wounded more than 40.
Police say the blast struck around midday today as Iraqi troops were leaving the base in Taji, 20 kilometres, north of the capital. They say 19 soldiers are among the dead.
Hospital officials confirmed the casualties. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to talk to the media.
Insurgents in Iraq frequently target members of the country`s security forces in an effort to undermine confidence in the Shiite-led government.
The attack was the deadliest in Iraq in several days, and the second bombing apparently targeting soldiers near Taji in less than 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic