Iraq President rebuffs move to unseat PM
Baghdad: Lawmakers say a broad alliance of political opponents of the Iraqi Prime Minister has failed to persuade the country`s President to take a first step toward unseating the Premier.
Nouri al-Maliki`s Shi’ite-dominated ruling coalition is increasingly shaky. One coalition member, the Sunni-dominated Iraqiya movement, has long complained about being shut out of power. Recently, two other groups -- Kurds and the hard-line Shi’ite followers of cleric Muqtada al-Sadr -- have threatened to defect.
On Wednesday, Iraqi President Jalal Talabani met with Kurdish, Sunni and Sadrist politicians.
Kurdish lawmaker Mahmud Othman says participants failed to persuade Talabani to make a first move against al-Maliki, asking Parliament to schedule a vote of no-confidence in the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love