Iraq releases 3 security contractors: Congressman
New York: Three security contractors
including two Americans were released by Iraqi Army forces
after they were held for more than two weeks, the chairman of
the House Committee on Homeland Security announced as he
demanded a full report on the episode.
Republican Rep Peter King of New York identified the men,
who were released yesterday, as Army veteran Alex Antiohos of
West Babylon, New York, National Guardsman Jonas March of
Savannah, Georgia, and Kevin Fisher of Fiji.
King said they were working for a security firm when
Iraqi Ministry of Defence officials rejected paperwork
prepared on their behalf by the Iraqi Ministry of Interior and
began holding them on December 9.
The men weren`t charged with any crimes and King said it
appeared that they were not injured.
He said Antiohos, who lives on Long Island, spoke to his
wife yesterday, and he was expected to be home later this
"She said he seems to be doing well," he said.
King said they were released yesterday after efforts by
his office, the State Department, the US Embassy in Baghdad,
the Defence Department and the White House.
He said he will demand answers from the Iraqis as well
from US authorities about how the incident was handled after
they learned about the men.
"We`re going to have thousands of contractors over there,
including many Americans. Can the Iraqis just take them off
the street and hold them? This is a terrible precedent. We
have to get to the bottom of this," he said.
The New York congressman said he was concerned that US
military authorities had not been notified by the US Embassy
that the men were being held and that embassy representatives
had not visited the men when he learned about it from
Antiohos` wife last week.
"We have to find out if there could have been better
coordination between all the agencies to make sure something
like this doesn`t happen again," King said.
US troops completed a full withdrawal from Iraq this
month after nearly nine years of war.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?