Iraq releases former top Saddam loyalist
Baghdad: The Iraqi government has released
from prison a top Saddam Hussein loyalist after he was found
innocent of helping the former regime punish opponents by
draining the country`s fabled marshlands, a judge said on Wednesday.
Khamis Sirhan al-Muhammad was No 54 out of 55 on a former
US military list of most-wanted Saddam officials.
Iraqi High Tribunal spokesman Judge Mohammed Abdul-Sahib
Yaseen said al-Muhammad was recently released from a prison
just outside Baghdad after being cleared of the charges in the
marshlands draining case. The trial ended this week.
Al-Muhammad was a Baath Party regional command chairman
and militia commander from Anbar Province. He was captured in
He "was proven innocent because of a lack of evidence,"
The US military said it did not have any legal authority
in whether to release al-Muhammadi, and referred all questions
to the Iraqi justice ministry.
The draining of marshlands illustrated Saddam`s
ruthlessness in pursuing opponents.
A Sunni Muslim, Saddam built a massive network of dams
and earthen walls to dry the marshes to punish Shiite rebels
who hid there after staging an uprising against his regime. By
the time Saddam was overthrown in 2003, the marshes had shrunk
by 90 per cent from their size in the 1970s.
Another among the 32 defendants tried for the draining of
marshlands was Mizban Khudr Hadi. Also a former Baath party
regional commander and No 23 on the most-wanted list, Hadi was
convicted and sentenced to death in the case.
He was earlier also convicted in a separate case, on
charges of helping to plan the forced displacement of Kurds
from northeastern Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?