Iraq releases former top Saddam loyalist
Baghdad: The Iraqi government has released
from prison a top Saddam Hussein loyalist after he was found
innocent of helping the former regime punish opponents by
draining the country`s fabled marshlands, a judge said on Wednesday.
Khamis Sirhan al-Muhammad was No 54 out of 55 on a former
US military list of most-wanted Saddam officials.
Iraqi High Tribunal spokesman Judge Mohammed Abdul-Sahib
Yaseen said al-Muhammad was recently released from a prison
just outside Baghdad after being cleared of the charges in the
marshlands draining case. The trial ended this week.
Al-Muhammad was a Baath Party regional command chairman
and militia commander from Anbar Province. He was captured in
He "was proven innocent because of a lack of evidence,"
The US military said it did not have any legal authority
in whether to release al-Muhammadi, and referred all questions
to the Iraqi justice ministry.
The draining of marshlands illustrated Saddam`s
ruthlessness in pursuing opponents.
A Sunni Muslim, Saddam built a massive network of dams
and earthen walls to dry the marshes to punish Shiite rebels
who hid there after staging an uprising against his regime. By
the time Saddam was overthrown in 2003, the marshes had shrunk
by 90 per cent from their size in the 1970s.
Another among the 32 defendants tried for the draining of
marshlands was Mizban Khudr Hadi. Also a former Baath party
regional commander and No 23 on the most-wanted list, Hadi was
convicted and sentenced to death in the case.
He was earlier also convicted in a separate case, on
charges of helping to plan the forced displacement of Kurds
from northeastern Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly