Iraq says new mass grave found near Kirkuk
Baghdad: A mass grave discovered in northeast
Iraq contains dozens of bodies, mostly of women and children
believed killed during a crackdown against Kurds by former
dictator Saddam Hussein, an Iraqi official said on Saturday.
The grave was originally found nearly two years ago west
of Kirkuk, though its discovery was only made public this week
after forensic pathologists began examining it, said Majid
Abdullah Karim, an official with the Iraqi Ministry of Human
Investigators initially put the number of bodies found at
185, though Karim said the number could be "significantly
less" based on the number of bones and skulls recovered
yesterday by pathologists.
Karim did not give an exact number, estimating only
Mass graves across Iraq have been turning up with some
frequency since the 2003 US-led invasion that toppled Saddam`s
The latest discovery was made at a former military
detention camp used by Saddam`s forces in Tubzama, just west
of Kirkuk, 180 miles (290 kilometres) north of Baghdad, said
The grave was discovered after people reported seeing
bones and bits of clothing at the camp, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next