Iraq scraps $4.2bn arms deal with Russia
Baghdad: Amidst corruption speculations the Iraqi government has quashed its $4.2bn (£2.6bn) arms deal with Russia, as per BBC.
Iraq had plans to buy armaments from Russia which included fighter aircrafts and missiles and the deal was signed in October.
Owing to growing insurgency in the country, Iraq was in the process of strengthening the arsenal of its Army. But now it turns out that Prime Minister Nouri Maliki doubts the transparency of the deal and feels that there are corrupt practices within his own team.
As per a Russian military expert, the scrapping of arms deal was under the direct influence of Washington on Iraq.
One Russian military expert has suggested that Iraqi authorities scuppered the Russian arms deal under pressure from Washington.
A spokesperson in this regard said "when Maliki returned from his trip to Russia, he had some suspicions of corruption, so he decided to review the whole deal", as reported by BBC.
"There is an investigation going on, on this," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25