Iraq sentences 11 men to death over Baghdad bombings
Baghdad: An Iraqi court on Thursday sentenced to
death 11 men, including Al-Qaeda militants, over devastating
truck bombs in Baghdad that killed more than 100 people in
August and dealt a harsh blow to the government.
The trial was the first to convict suspects arrested in
the wake of three major attacks in the second half of 2009
that saw insurgents defy the war-torn country`s fledgling
security forces and penetrate the heart of the capital.
"They are sentenced to death for the crime they planned,"
Ali Abdul Sattar, president of the criminal court, said at a
hearing in the Iraqi capital.
The August 19 attacks just minutes apart outside the
ministries of finance and foreign affairs caused massive
destruction, killed 106 people and wounded around 600 others.
Those convicted included Salim Abed Jassim who confessed
that he received funding for the attacks from Brigadier
General Nabil Abdul Rahman, a senior army officer during the
rule of Saddam Hussein now living in Syria.
Also sentenced to death by hanging were Ishaq Mohammed
Abbas, an Al-Qaeda in Iraq leader and his brother Mustapha,
the court official told agency.
Both men had once been detained but were later released
from Camp Bucca, a now closed US-run prison in the southern
city of Basra.
"These men were the brains behind the attacks in August,"
a security official involved in an investigation into the
August 19 attacks told agency on condition of anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?