Iraq speaker targeted in blast as 21 militants killed
Baghdad: Iraq`s parliament speaker narrowly escaped an attack in his hometown on Monday while 21 militants died when a car bomb they were readying mistakenly went off in renewed nationwide violence.
The unrest comes amid the worst protracted period of bloodshed in nearly six years, with more than 1,000 people killed last month as security forces grapple with near-daily attacks and battles with anti-government fighters in Anbar province.
Foreign leaders have pressed the Shiite-led government to reach out to the disaffected Sunni minority to undermine support for militants, but Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has taken a hard line ahead of April elections.
Today, a convoy carrying Parliament Speaker Osama al-Nujaifi, Iraq`s most senior Sunni Arab politician, was hit by a roadside bomb in the main northern city of Mosul, his office said.
One of Nujaifi`s bodyguards was wounded, a police captain and a medical source said, but the speaker himself escaped unharmed.
Mosul and surrounding Nineveh province, where Nujaifi`s brother Atheel is governor, is one of Iraq`s most violent areas, with attacks regularly targeting security forces, government officials as well as civilians.
Also north of Baghdad, a car bomb mistakenly went off in a militant compound, killing 21 insurgents including a suicide bomber, an anti-Qaeda militia leader and a police officer said.
The group were filming a propaganda video of the would-be suicide attacker when a technical glitch set off the car bomb in the Jilam area south of Samarra, according to Majeed Ali, the head of the Sahwa militia force in the city, and a police officer.
Jilam, a mostly rural farming area just south of the mostly-Sunni city of Samarra, has long been an insurgent stronghold.
The 8:00 am (0500 GMT) blast went off within a compound in the area, Ali and the police officer said.
Elsewhere today, attacks near Baghdad in and around the towns of Mussayib and Balad left two people dead, while three militants were also killed in clashes with security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery