Iraq to get Russian attack helicopters soon
Moscow: Russia will deliver attack helicopters and air-defence systems to Iraq before the summer, Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said.
Delivery of the Russian arms will start as soon as financial matters are dealt with, he added.
"I believe the first arms deliveries from Russia to Iraq will start before the beginning of the summer at the latest," he said in an interview with Golos Rossii Radio.
Concerning Iraq`s plans to buy Lochkeed Martin F-16 fighters from the US, Zebari said Iraq "has no problems with the Americans on this deal".
"Deliveries are due to begin in 2014," he said.
In November, Iraq`s acting defence minister Sadun Al-Dulaymi denied reports that Baghdad was annulling a $4.2 billion arms deal with Russia over concerns about possible corruption.
Russia and Iraq had announced an agreement to deliver Russian Mi-28NE attack helicopters and Pantsyr mobile air-defence systems following a visit in October to Moscow by Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, during which he met his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev.
At the time, when the arms deal was announced in October, the Russian press had hailed it as the country`s largest since 2006.
Under the deal, Moscow is to supply 30 Mil Mi-28NE night/all-weather capable attack helicopters, and 50 Pantsyr-S1 gun-missile short-range air defence systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them