Iraq to get Russian attack helicopters soon
Moscow: Russia will deliver attack helicopters and air-defence systems to Iraq before the summer, Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said.
Delivery of the Russian arms will start as soon as financial matters are dealt with, he added.
"I believe the first arms deliveries from Russia to Iraq will start before the beginning of the summer at the latest," he said in an interview with Golos Rossii Radio.
Concerning Iraq`s plans to buy Lochkeed Martin F-16 fighters from the US, Zebari said Iraq "has no problems with the Americans on this deal".
"Deliveries are due to begin in 2014," he said.
In November, Iraq`s acting defence minister Sadun Al-Dulaymi denied reports that Baghdad was annulling a $4.2 billion arms deal with Russia over concerns about possible corruption.
Russia and Iraq had announced an agreement to deliver Russian Mi-28NE attack helicopters and Pantsyr mobile air-defence systems following a visit in October to Moscow by Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, during which he met his Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev.
At the time, when the arms deal was announced in October, the Russian press had hailed it as the country`s largest since 2006.
Under the deal, Moscow is to supply 30 Mil Mi-28NE night/all-weather capable attack helicopters, and 50 Pantsyr-S1 gun-missile short-range air defence systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM