Iraq to open all borders to Syrian refugees
Baghdad: Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has given orders to open all the country’s borders to Syrian refugees, senior Iraqi border commander said on Monday.
Iraq’s security forces have been instructed to give support to refugees.
The 17-month conflict in Syria has sent tens of thousands of refugees streaming out of the country. But the idea of Syrians fleeing to Iraq is notable.
For years, Iraqis would head to Syria to escape widespread sectarian fighting during the worst of violence in their homeland between 2005 and 2007.
Now the refugee traffic is going the other way.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30