Iraq violence: Wave of bomb blasts rock Baghdad, at least 30 dead
Zee Media Bureau
Baghdad: At least six bomb blasts rock the Iraqi capital on Monday evening targeting mainly the commercial areas here, killing at least 30 people.
The majority were reported in mainly Shia districts, but a predominantly Sunni Muslim neighbourhood was also hit, according to reports.
Two of the explosions were reported in Doura and in the Husseiniya district, where a parked car was reportedly blown up in a busy street during the evening rush hour.
pointing towards the militant outfit al Qaeda who had claimed responsibility for a spate of rare suicide attacks last month in the northern, relatively peaceful self-ruled Kurdish region.
Earlier in the day, a guard caught a woman planting a bomb next to a primary school today, while two blasts killed four Sahwa anti al Qaeda fighters, officials said.
The woman was trying to plant a bomb next to the wall of a school in Madain, south of Baghdad, but was discovered by one of the school`s guards, who turned her over to the army with the help of a second guard, an interior ministry official said.
The attempted bombing came a day after a suicide bombers attacked a primary school and a nearby police station in northern Iraq, killing 18 people, including 10 children.
A total of 36 people were killed in attacks across Iraq. North of the capital, two roadside bombs killed four Sahwa anti-al Qaeda fighters and wounded five today.
The Sahwa, who joined forces with the United States from late 2006 and helped bring about a sharp reduction in violence in Iraq, are frequently targeted by Sunni militants, who consider them to be traitors.
Violence in Iraq has reached a level unseen since 2008, amid persistent fears of a relapse into the kind of intense Sunni-Shiite bloodshed that peaked in 2006-2007 and killed tens of thousands of people.
The latest violence takes this month`s death toll to more than 170, and more than 4,850 since the beginning of the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says