Iraq war illegal, Tony Blair was told
London: Former British prime minister Tony Blair was warned that the invasion of Iraq would be illegal in a secret memo from Attorney General Lord Goldsmith three months before the war began, a media report said.
The British Cabinet Office has published the first draft of Goldsmith`s legal advice which confirmed he had doubts about the legality of the conflict without a new UN mandate, express.co.uk reported.
The memo, written on January 14, 2003, refers to the UN`s previous resolution saying that it "does not revive the authorisation to use force... in the absence of a further decision of the Security Council".
However, within days of giving this advice, Goldsmith flew to the US for a meeting with former president George W Bush`s advisers, who changed his mind.
"We had trouble with your attorney. We got him there eventually," John Bellinger, former White House legal counsel told British colleagues later, the report said.
Goldsmith, however, termed this report as "nonsense" but admitted he had serious reservations about the war.
He gave the go-ahead, after which the armed forces joined the US-led invasion March 20.
Several British government lawyers have told the Iraq Inquiry they believed the invasion was unlawful.
The Iraq Inquiry, chaired by Sir John Chilcot, is a public inquiry into the role of Britain`s role in the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The inquiry was announced on June 15, 2009 by then prime minister Gordon Brown.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata