Iraqi authorities distribute cards for elections
Baghdad: Iraq`s election commission today said that it has not yet decided how it will distribute voter ID cards in embattled Anbar province, barely two months before the country`s first election since the 2011 withdrawal of the US forces.
Commission official Aziz al-Kheikani said the distribution began in four new provinces including the capital Baghdad today in preparation for the April 30 ballot. Voters in 13 of Iraq`s 18 provinces began to receive cards, which contain a computer chip, three weeks ago.
He said authorities will decide "soon" on when and how to distribute the cards in the remaining province, Anbar.
Fierce clashes pitting government security forces and allied Sunni tribal militias against a coalition of insurgents have been raging in western Iraq`s Anbar province since late December.
An al-Qaida offshoot and other insurgent groups have taken control of the city of Fallujah and parts of the provincial capital, Ramadi.
Thousands of families have left and government offices have shut down. The clashes in Anbar have contributed to a spike in violence. Last year was Iraq`s bloodiest since the worst of the country`s sectarian bloodletting began to subside in 2008, with 8,868 killed, according to the UN.
In the latest attacks, militants set off three explosives-laden cars parked near four houses of local security and civilian officials in the city of Tikrit, killing at least five people included two policemen, a police officer said.
He added that 18 other people were wounded in that blast in the city, some 130 kilometres north of Baghdad.
A medical official confirmed the casualty figures. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to release information.
Nearly 22 million Iraqis are eligible to cast their ballots in parliamentary election, scheduled for April 30, to choose 325 lawmakers. The voting is the third since 2006.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Is your Indian passport among those to be declared invalid from November 25, 2015?