Iraqi Catholics celebrate Easter
Baghdad: Iraqi Catholics are flocking to churches around the country to celebrate Easter amid tight security.
At the St Joseph Chaldean Church in Baghdad, some 200 worshippers sang and prayed, standing and sitting, as they gathered for Easter Sunday mass led by Father Saad Sirop.
There are an estimated 400,000 to 600,000 Christians in Iraq, including many Catholics of the Chaldean church and the smaller Assyrian Catholic church.
Since the 2003 US-led invasion, Iraqi Christians have suffered repeated attacks by Islamic militants and hundreds of thousands have left the country.
Decades of immigration have reduced the size of Christian communities throughout the Middle East, with most leaving for better opportunities and to join families abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Irfan Pathan marries 21-year-old Safa Baig in low-key affair
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!