Iraqi Catholics celebrate Easter
Baghdad: Iraqi Catholics are flocking to churches around the country to celebrate Easter amid tight security.
At the St Joseph Chaldean Church in Baghdad, some 200 worshippers sang and prayed, standing and sitting, as they gathered for Easter Sunday mass led by Father Saad Sirop.
There are an estimated 400,000 to 600,000 Christians in Iraq, including many Catholics of the Chaldean church and the smaller Assyrian Catholic church.
Since the 2003 US-led invasion, Iraqi Christians have suffered repeated attacks by Islamic militants and hundreds of thousands have left the country.
Decades of immigration have reduced the size of Christian communities throughout the Middle East, with most leaving for better opportunities and to join families abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh