Iraqi forces kill over 70 Sunni militants
Baghdad: Iraqi security forces Saturday fought back attacks from Sunni groups across the country, killing over 70 militants, officials said.
Sunni militants, claiming to be from Islamic State (IS), attacked Haditha city, 200 km west of Baghdad in the western Anbar province, and the nearby strategic dam on the Euphrates river, Xinhua reported citing a provincial police source as saying.
Iraqi troops and some government-backed Sahwa paramilitary group fought back the attacks and killed over 40 militants, the source said.
In Jalawlaa city in the eastern province of Diyala, Kurdish security forces, known as Peshmerga, clashed with militant groups and retook control of a neighbourhood in southern Jalawlaa, killing 13 militants and arresting six others, the source said.
Also in the province, Iraqi security forces backed by volunteers clashed with Sunni militants who recently seized areas near Maqdadiyah city, about 100 km northeast of Baghdad, leaving six militants dead, a provincial police source said.
Three security members were killed and six others wounded in the clash.
Elsewhere, helicopter gunships pounded a house in Tuz-Khurmato, 180 km north of Baghdad, which is believed to be a safe house of Abu Suhaib, a leader of an IS militant group.
Abu Suhaib and 12 of his group members were killed, a police source said.
In a separate incident, a girl was killed and five civilians were wounded when a mortar round landed on a house in a village near Tuz-Khurmato, the source said.
Separately, clashes erupted between security forces and militant groups in the southern part of Anbar`s provincial capital Ramadi, some 110 km west of Baghdad, leaving five militants dead, the source said.
Four people were killed and 19 others, including four children, wounded in artillery and mortar shelling on several neighbourhoods in the militant-seized city of Fallujah, 50 km west of Baghdad, a medical source from a city hospital said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference