Iraqi Governor escapes assassination
Baghdad: Police say the governor of Iraq`s
largest Sunni province has escaped an assassination attempt on
a highway in a former insurgent stronghold west of Baghdad.
Iraqi police say the governor of Anbar province, Qasim
al-Fahadawi, escaped unhurt this morning after a roadside bomb
hit his motorcade as it headed to Baghdad.
A provincial media official says three bodyguards were
wounded in the attack.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they
are not authorised to brief the media.
Al-Fahadawi has been a frequent target for insurgents. He
lost a leg in a 2009 bombing at his office in the city of
The attack comes as Anbar officials consider joining other
provinces to create a semi-autonomous Sunni region in Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Waiting movie review: Naseer, Kalki add heft to this homage to humanism
- Pakistani beauty Saba Qamar to star opposite Irrfan Khan in 'Hindi Medium': First look OUT!
- PMO counters criticism on 'rehashed' schemes under Narendra Modi government
- Watch: NASA releases 'Metabolomics: You Are What You Eat' video!
- Women's World Boxing Championship: Sonia Lather settles for silver, loses to Italian Alessia Mesiano in 57kg final