Iraqi Governor escapes assassination
Baghdad: Police say the governor of Iraq`s
largest Sunni province has escaped an assassination attempt on
a highway in a former insurgent stronghold west of Baghdad.
Iraqi police say the governor of Anbar province, Qasim
al-Fahadawi, escaped unhurt this morning after a roadside bomb
hit his motorcade as it headed to Baghdad.
A provincial media official says three bodyguards were
wounded in the attack.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they
are not authorised to brief the media.
Al-Fahadawi has been a frequent target for insurgents. He
lost a leg in a 2009 bombing at his office in the city of
The attack comes as Anbar officials consider joining other
provinces to create a semi-autonomous Sunni region in Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets