Iraqi Governor escapes assassination
Baghdad: Police say the governor of Iraq`s
largest Sunni province has escaped an assassination attempt on
a highway in a former insurgent stronghold west of Baghdad.
Iraqi police say the governor of Anbar province, Qasim
al-Fahadawi, escaped unhurt this morning after a roadside bomb
hit his motorcade as it headed to Baghdad.
A provincial media official says three bodyguards were
wounded in the attack.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they
are not authorised to brief the media.
Al-Fahadawi has been a frequent target for insurgents. He
lost a leg in a 2009 bombing at his office in the city of
The attack comes as Anbar officials consider joining other
provinces to create a semi-autonomous Sunni region in Iraq.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'