Iraqi leaders should rise above their differences: Kerry
Washington: Secretary of State John Kerry said the US is committed to fight back the Sunni militants who are inching closer to Baghdad, but America`s efforts would be successful only if Iraqi leaders embrace a political process shunning differences.
He said the efforts made by the US "will only be successful if Iraqi leaders rise above their differences and embrace a political plan that defines Iraq`s future through the political process, not through insurgency and conflict."
"That will require diplomacy and it will require willpower, leadership, decisions by those who really hold Iraq`s future in their hands. And we will be working very hard on all of this in the next few days," he said.
"So if there is to be a solution, recognising that ISIL is a threat to everybody in the region... We still know that unless there is a coming together, an elimination of the mistrust, an addressing of the sense of isolation of different segments of Iraqi society, there is no single military solution," he said.
Kerry said it is crucial that the government formation process, that is now underway, be affected as rapidly as possible. "The people of Iraq had an election. They`ve made their choices, and they have a parliamentary system with factions coming together to choose a prime minister and choose a government," he said.
"That process has to be played out as rapidly as possible, so the security of Iraq is determined by Iraqis, and that would be the greatest single step taken to have an impact on the outcome of this current conflict," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people