Iraqi Parliament speaker calls for government`s resignation
Baghdad: Iraqi Parliament`s speaker Osama al- Nujaifi Monday called for the resignation of the government and holding early elections, Xinhua reported.
"Nujaifi proposed initiatives to end the crisis experienced by the country, including the resignation of the current government," Mohammed al-Khalidi, a parliament member of the Sunni Iraqiya list told reporters here.
The speaker called for the current government to be replaced by a provisional government of independent members who should not participate in the next elections.
He also proposed the electoral commission to prepare for early parliamentary elections and then the current parliament be dissolved, making way for the people to choose their representatives.
The initiatives were aimed to promote national reconciliation and avoid civil war and sectarian strife, Nujaifi`s office said.
The call for government`s resignation was made following the week-long deadly violence across the country after the April 20 local polls and Tuesday`s clashes in Hawijah, some 220 km from capital city of Baghdad.
Clashes erupted last Tuesday between Iraqi security forces and anti- government Sunni protesters in Hawijah, where hundreds of security members backed by helicopters stormed a sit-in by Sunni Arabs.
At least 50 people were killed and more than 150 wounded in the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued