Iraqi PM orders security review of Syrian border
Baghdad: Iraq`s Prime Minister says all intelligence or tips about weapons smuggling and insurgent travel from Iraq to Syria must be investigated — no matter how weak the information may be.
Nouri al-Maliki on Saturday ordered a review of Iraq`s 363 miles (605 kilometres) of border with Syria to clamp down on illegal traffic between the two counties.
Last week, US intelligence chief James Clapper said a series of bombings against the Syrian regime in recent months in Damascus and Aleppo bear the hallmarks of al Qaeda. Iraqi and US officials believe some of the terror fighters may be coming to Syria from Iraq.
In a statement, al-Maliki identified weapons smuggling as a top problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP