Iraqi PM retires 2 top-ranking security officers
Baghdad: Iraq`s military spokesman says the prime minister has removed the chief of the army`s ground forces and the head of the federal police from their posts.
Lt General Qassim al-Moussawi says Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki signed the papers today to retire Lt Gen Ali Ghaidan, commander of the army`s ground forces, and Lt Gen Mohsen al-Kaabi, the federal police chief.
Al-Moussawi says both men leave their jobs with their pensions. No replacements have been named.
The dismissals are part of al-Maliki`s shakeup of the security forces after their near collapse in the face of a sweeping militant offensive led by the Islamic State extremist group.
Last month, al-Maliki retired three generals who had been deployed in the north and ordered legal proceedings against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack