Iraqi PM retires 2 top-ranking security officers
Baghdad: Iraq`s military spokesman says the prime minister has removed the chief of the army`s ground forces and the head of the federal police from their posts.
Lt General Qassim al-Moussawi says Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki signed the papers today to retire Lt Gen Ali Ghaidan, commander of the army`s ground forces, and Lt Gen Mohsen al-Kaabi, the federal police chief.
Al-Moussawi says both men leave their jobs with their pensions. No replacements have been named.
The dismissals are part of al-Maliki`s shakeup of the security forces after their near collapse in the face of a sweeping militant offensive led by the Islamic State extremist group.
Last month, al-Maliki retired three generals who had been deployed in the north and ordered legal proceedings against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city