Iraqi PM retires 2 top-ranking security officers
Baghdad: Iraq`s military spokesman says the prime minister has removed the chief of the army`s ground forces and the head of the federal police from their posts.
Lt General Qassim al-Moussawi says Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki signed the papers today to retire Lt Gen Ali Ghaidan, commander of the army`s ground forces, and Lt Gen Mohsen al-Kaabi, the federal police chief.
Al-Moussawi says both men leave their jobs with their pensions. No replacements have been named.
The dismissals are part of al-Maliki`s shakeup of the security forces after their near collapse in the face of a sweeping militant offensive led by the Islamic State extremist group.
Last month, al-Maliki retired three generals who had been deployed in the north and ordered legal proceedings against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand
- When Smriti Irani was denied cabin crew job for 'lack of good personality' - Know Details
- Health Ministry to start awareness campaign on dengue, chikungunya