Iraqi PM to file complaint against new president
Baghdad: Iraq`s Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki says he will file a legal complaint against the country`s new president for committing "a clear constitutional violation."
Al-Maliki made the announcement in a surprise speech late yesterday night, plunging the government into a political crisis at a time it is battling advances by Islamic State militants.
Al-Maliki, whose coalition won the most seats in April elections, is accusing the new president Fouad Massoum of neglecting to name a prime minister from the country`s largest parliamentary bloc by yesterday`s deadline. He says the president has violated the constitution "for the sake of political goals."
Al-Maliki, speaking on Iraqi TV for the first time since American forces launched airstrikes and humanitarian airdrops in Iraq last week, says the security situation will only worsen, and "bad consequences" will result from Massoum`s actions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand