Iraqi Prez congratulates Egypt`s Mursi on election
Baghdad: Iraqi President Jalal Talabani sent a letter of congratulation to Egypt`s president-elect, Mohammed Mursi, for his victory and vowed to enhance ties between the two countries, the presidency website said Monday.
"It`s my pleasure to send you my best and heartfelt congratulations on the occasion of your victory in a democratic elections, in which the brotherly people of Egypt entrusted you with the presidency of the country," Talabani said in his letter.
Talabani expressed his confidence that Egypt will go ahead with "consolidating the democratic structure, strengthening national unity and applying the principles of justice and equality, as well as achieving development and prosperity for all Egyptian citizens. "
"We in Iraq will do our best to promote brotherly ties between the two countries for the benefit of the peoples of the two countries and to bring security, stability and democracy in the region," Talabani said in his letter.
For its part, the Iraqi Islamic Party (IIP), the Iraqi branch of the Muslim Brotherhood, considered Mursi``s win a "victory to the Islamic project" in the Middle East region.
"This victory, on one hand, reflects the greater acceptance of the Islamic project, which is adopted by the group of Muslim Brotherhood. On the other hand, it is a day that will not be forgotten by our brothers in Egypt, because they made it with their blood and their collaboration," the IIP said in a statement posted on its website.
Mursi was declared Sunday the winner with a narrow margin in the first presidential election in Egypt since the fall of Hosni Mubarak``s long-standing regime amid protests in early 2011. The election is widely believed to be a key element for Egypt``s transition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’