Iraqi Shi’ite cleric backs al-Maliki: Aides
Baghdad: Aides to Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr say his powerful political bloc has agreed to support the Iraqi Prime Minister`s bid to stay in power and end a nearly seven-month political impasse.
The backing of al-Sadr would push the Shi’ite-led coalition of Nouri al-Maliki close to the needed parliamentary majority to form a new government. Iraq has been in political limbo since March elections, won by a Sunni-backed bloc but without enough seats to oust al-Maliki.
The three aides to al-Sadr say the formal announcement is expected later Friday.
Al-Sadr leads an influential Shi’ite political group, but he has been in self-exile in Iran since 2007.
The aides spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to brief reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’