Iraqi TV executive loses legs in car bombing
Baghdad: An Iraqi television executive had
his legs blown off when a booby trap bomb attached to his car
exploded in Baghdad on Tuesday, a journalist and security
officials told agency.
Omar Ibrahim Rasheed, director of public relations for
Rasheed television, lost his legs when the bomb exploded in
the Dora district of the Iraqi capital as he travelled to
work, said Majid Hamid, a journalist with the channel.
Two of Rasheed`s neighbours, whom he was giving a lift,
and six passersby were also wounded in the attack, said an
interior ministry official.
Rasheed, 40, was formerly a producer with the
Al-Baghdadia television channel, before moving to Rasheed
television, a satellite channel owned by a Sunni businessman,
when it launched two years ago.
The Baghdad-based Journalistic Freedoms Observatory, a
media defence organisation, says 247 media staff, the vast
majority of them Iraqis, have been killed since the US-led
invasion that ousted dictator Saddam Hussein in 2003.
In its Press Freedom 2009 index published last October,
Reporters Without Borders ranked Iraq at a lowly 145th place
for media freedom out of 175 countries.
Separately today, three people were killed and seven
wounded when a homemade bomb exploded outside a liquor store
in Zayuna, an eastern Baghdad district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!