Iraqi TV executive loses legs in car bombing
Baghdad: An Iraqi television executive had
his legs blown off when a booby trap bomb attached to his car
exploded in Baghdad on Tuesday, a journalist and security
officials told agency.
Omar Ibrahim Rasheed, director of public relations for
Rasheed television, lost his legs when the bomb exploded in
the Dora district of the Iraqi capital as he travelled to
work, said Majid Hamid, a journalist with the channel.
Two of Rasheed`s neighbours, whom he was giving a lift,
and six passersby were also wounded in the attack, said an
interior ministry official.
Rasheed, 40, was formerly a producer with the
Al-Baghdadia television channel, before moving to Rasheed
television, a satellite channel owned by a Sunni businessman,
when it launched two years ago.
The Baghdad-based Journalistic Freedoms Observatory, a
media defence organisation, says 247 media staff, the vast
majority of them Iraqis, have been killed since the US-led
invasion that ousted dictator Saddam Hussein in 2003.
In its Press Freedom 2009 index published last October,
Reporters Without Borders ranked Iraq at a lowly 145th place
for media freedom out of 175 countries.
Separately today, three people were killed and seven
wounded when a homemade bomb exploded outside a liquor store
in Zayuna, an eastern Baghdad district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!