Iraqi TV executive loses legs in car bombing
Baghdad: An Iraqi television executive had
his legs blown off when a booby trap bomb attached to his car
exploded in Baghdad on Tuesday, a journalist and security
officials told agency.
Omar Ibrahim Rasheed, director of public relations for
Rasheed television, lost his legs when the bomb exploded in
the Dora district of the Iraqi capital as he travelled to
work, said Majid Hamid, a journalist with the channel.
Two of Rasheed`s neighbours, whom he was giving a lift,
and six passersby were also wounded in the attack, said an
interior ministry official.
Rasheed, 40, was formerly a producer with the
Al-Baghdadia television channel, before moving to Rasheed
television, a satellite channel owned by a Sunni businessman,
when it launched two years ago.
The Baghdad-based Journalistic Freedoms Observatory, a
media defence organisation, says 247 media staff, the vast
majority of them Iraqis, have been killed since the US-led
invasion that ousted dictator Saddam Hussein in 2003.
In its Press Freedom 2009 index published last October,
Reporters Without Borders ranked Iraq at a lowly 145th place
for media freedom out of 175 countries.
Separately today, three people were killed and seven
wounded when a homemade bomb exploded outside a liquor store
in Zayuna, an eastern Baghdad district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Sahara auction: Sebi adds 16 land parcels, bid price Rs 650 crore
- Poland urges rethink of closer EU integration
- Impact of Brexit on Mahindra Group will be muted: CFO
- Donald Trump says Britons ''took back control of their country'
- Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan laud Shekhar Kapur's daughter's soul-stirring debut song – Watch