Iraqi TV executive loses legs in car bombing
Baghdad: An Iraqi television executive had
his legs blown off when a booby trap bomb attached to his car
exploded in Baghdad on Tuesday, a journalist and security
officials told agency.
Omar Ibrahim Rasheed, director of public relations for
Rasheed television, lost his legs when the bomb exploded in
the Dora district of the Iraqi capital as he travelled to
work, said Majid Hamid, a journalist with the channel.
Two of Rasheed`s neighbours, whom he was giving a lift,
and six passersby were also wounded in the attack, said an
interior ministry official.
Rasheed, 40, was formerly a producer with the
Al-Baghdadia television channel, before moving to Rasheed
television, a satellite channel owned by a Sunni businessman,
when it launched two years ago.
The Baghdad-based Journalistic Freedoms Observatory, a
media defence organisation, says 247 media staff, the vast
majority of them Iraqis, have been killed since the US-led
invasion that ousted dictator Saddam Hussein in 2003.
In its Press Freedom 2009 index published last October,
Reporters Without Borders ranked Iraq at a lowly 145th place
for media freedom out of 175 countries.
Separately today, three people were killed and seven
wounded when a homemade bomb exploded outside a liquor store
in Zayuna, an eastern Baghdad district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur