Iraqi VP demands inquiry into bodyguard`s death
Baghdad: Iraq`s fugitive Sunni vice president is demanding that global rights groups investigate whether one of his bodyguards was tortured to death.
Tariq al-Hashemi in a speech Tuesday accused Iraq`s government of covering up the imprisonment and slaying of bodyguard Amir Sarbut Zaidan al-Batawi.
Pictures of al-Batawi`s body shown before al-Hashemi`s speech showed multiple bruises.
Baghdad`s military command says al-Batawi died on March 15 of kidney failure. It delivered the body to his family on March 20.
Al-Hashemi and his bodyguards are accused of running death squads against Shiite pilgrims as well as government and security officials.
He has denied the charges and has fled to the semiautonomous Kurdish region to avoid arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal