Iraqi VP demands inquiry into bodyguard`s death
Baghdad: Iraq`s fugitive Sunni vice president is demanding that global rights groups investigate whether one of his bodyguards was tortured to death.
Tariq al-Hashemi in a speech Tuesday accused Iraq`s government of covering up the imprisonment and slaying of bodyguard Amir Sarbut Zaidan al-Batawi.
Pictures of al-Batawi`s body shown before al-Hashemi`s speech showed multiple bruises.
Baghdad`s military command says al-Batawi died on March 15 of kidney failure. It delivered the body to his family on March 20.
Al-Hashemi and his bodyguards are accused of running death squads against Shiite pilgrims as well as government and security officials.
He has denied the charges and has fled to the semiautonomous Kurdish region to avoid arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter