Iraq`s Bush shoe-thrower to be freed on Monday: Lawyer
Baghdad: Muntazer al-Zaidi, the Iraqi reporter who shot to fame when he threw his shoes at then US president George W Bush, is set to be released from jail on Monday, his lawyer said on Saturday.
"I do not think there are any obstacles to his being freed, and I have great hope that he will be released on Monday," Dia al-Saadi said.
The "defence team has presented a petition for (Zaidi`s) release to the Iraqi central criminal court, which has handed an order for his release to the prison administration. All the legal conditions have been fulfilled."
A little-known reporter for a small, privately owned television channel, Zaidi stunned the world on December 14 when he hurled his footwear at Bush, who was on a farewell visit to the country he ordered to be invaded and occupied six years ago.
His actions at a news conference won him admiration across the Arab world, with offers of plum jobs, marriage, and even a career in politics flooding in.
Zaidi, 30, was initially sentenced to three years in jail for assaulting a foreign head of state, but had that reduced to one year on appeal. He is being released early because of good behaviour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi