Iraq`s Parliament speaker meets US, Iranian officials
Baghdad: Iraq Parliament speaker Osama al-Nujaifi held separate meetings on Sunday with the ambassadors of the US and Iran, warning the latter not to interfere in domestic affairs.
Al-Nujaifi, who is a member of the Iraqiya List, said he told Iranian Ambassador Hassan Danaii that improving ties should take place "on the basis of mutual respect and non-interference in internal affairs".
The Iraqiya List, led by former prime minister Iyad Allawi, has long accused Iran of interfering in Iraq`s political affairs. Supporters of Iraqiya have even blamed Iran for Allawi`s upset loss to rival Nuri al-Maliki, who was elected for a second term as prime minister on Thursday.
Al-Maliki`s success in securing the top post in government came after eight months of political wrangling and trips by Iraq`s leaders to seek support in neighbouring countries, including Iran.
For its part, Iran welcomed on Sunday the decision of Iraq`s political parties to form a new coalition government, ISNA news agency reported.
Al-Nujaifi also briefed US Ambassador James Jeffrey on the latest political developments.
The Prime Minister is currently in talks with the various political blocs on forming a cabinet, according to his aides. After the Islamic Eid holidays, members of Parliament are expected to meet to discuss the scope of a new council on national strategy, the leadership of which Allawi was offered, but has yet to accept.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi